Sunday, September 27, 2009

Iran: Kabab

So the Wiki list of national dishes has two variations of kababs for Iran, chelow and nan-e.

A chelow kabab is a simple meal that basically consists of a meat kebab served with steamed rice. Don't be fooled into limiting your idea of a kabab to hunks of meat and vegetables on a stick. A traditional kebab can also be a log-shaped meat ball of sorts. The mixture used to mold the shape is usually made up of the meat and spices. You can stuff this kabab into a pita for a tasty sandwhich. The nan-e kabab is basically the same kind of thing, but served with flatbread instead of rice.

I decided to go with the meat log variety to go with my side dishes (and the leftover tzatziki from greek night).

I found this kabab recipe on some random Web site called Persian City. It calls for either lamb or ground beef. I went with lamb. The tumeric is where it's at on this one. I also made mind in the over and skipped the tomatoes.

I know they look kind of funny, but are quite tasty. Shove them in a pita with some tzatiki and the Israeli salad and you'll never know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment